I am full of thanksgiving today! Full and overflowing with wonderful things to share so get ready for a fall-Vogue-sized VV Boutique Style post!
First, something I’ve been waiting to share since starting this adventure: Splurge Sorority!
Let me explain Splurge Sorority: A group of ladies gets together. Each contributes $40 (that’s the amount we decided on!) and one person takes the kitty and uses it for a special splurge just for her! Then, she plans and hosts the next gathering and shows everyone her splurges! We meet about once every 6 weeks and just had our first gathering for our second round of splurging! This round, we have 12 fabulous friends in our group, which means at some point each of us will get to go shopping with $480! Awesome! In the meantime, we get a lovely evening out on a regular basis! We are pretty flexible in how we decide whose turn it is; sometimes we draw names, sometimes someone has a special trip or event planned and requests a turn … As for the gatherings, I just enjoy the chance to get together and visit with my friends, but in our first round, several of the ladies added special touches – like a chocolate theme, a pedicure artist, esthetician evening, and a mixology party! These gatherings are always wonderful, but my favourite part is the “fashion show.” Here are some of the items my friend picked up for her splurge!
The evening was wonderful! Here are our conclusions after “coming out of the closet!”
- Wear what you love! That will lead you to pieces that exude your individual style, and the confidence and contentment you get from that override any trend or “expert” advice.
- Know your body and DO get pieces that flatter. However, DON’T be afraid to try something different – like a belt, a complimentary rather than matched colour, wearing a piece differently than it was intended, etc. You will probably be pleasantly surprised like we were!
- Keep in mind the “rule of 3” when layering. Without exception, our “questionable” pieces were much much better when layered. Two isn’t enough! Three layers or three parts to your ensemble are essential! I say, keep adding stuff till it looks right!
- When you aren’t sure what to pair with a piece, especially in this season of coloured denim and colour block items, consider complimentary colours! Think colour wheel! I also enjoy the the monochromatic trend – different tones of the same colour mixed in an ensemble.
- Small details pack a big punch! Cuff your sleeves or hems, juzj (? how do you spell this ‘Queer Eye for the Straight Guy’ term for pushing up your sleeves in a cute scrunchy way) your sleeves, include pops of colour/pattern/texture! A little leopard detail makes for a lot of wild in your style!
- Consider the balance in an ensemble. Blousy with fitted, neutral with patterns or colours… Keep it interesting, but not so interesting that the eye doesn’t know where to look! It is a fine balance though – because sometimes taking things you would never pair together ends up looking good (this is what I find browsing through StyleMint!). I think the “internal consistency” or vibe of the outfit is important here – if they don’t match but feel consistent, it will probably work. And it will probably help to differentiate your look from everyone else!
- Most importantly, try it on! Don’t let the size on the tag or any preconceived notion stop you from having fun with your wardrobe and your style!
- If you are ready to part with an item, consider a clothing exchange with your friends – it is amazing to see something look totally different on someone else! Of course, at the very least, donate them to your local VV Boutique, Goodwill or other second-hand shops. These places are usually affiliated with local non-profit organizations and do a world of good for the environment.
I had other notes jotted down including “spank” and “no bonnets”… perhaps I had more wine than I realized because I have no idea what that means! Eh hem. Anyhoo, I think Splurge Sorority is about more than clothes – it’s about community, and so it was the perfect Saturday night out on this Thanksgiving weekend. And yes, I am restraining myself from hitting VV Boutique today to search again for the elusive mustard cardi and other treasures that bring a little joy – no splurging required!